Saturday, July 28, 2007

Heart Attack Giving


semi-working
Originally uploaded by aninag
This picture nearly gave me a heart attack.

And I wasn't the only one. A bunch of printmakers that saw this on LJ promptly freaked out and told her not to do this.

Who can tell me what is wrong with this picture?

PS. she has been warned and won't be making this mistake in the future.

-

Paper tearing is going well. Boring of course but getting it done while thinking about color combos in the back of my mind.

It is storming outside and Jon is in the living room protesting the crappy new Simpsons movie release this weekend by watching DVDs from when it was a great show. That was over eight years ago.

4 comments:

Diane Cutter said...

Ouch! I can just envision the pain of the gouge into those fingers. Good catch, Marissa!

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

I'm really glad that she posted this picture so people were able to warn her.

One of the hazards of self teaching is you don't have an instructor to give you safety instructions.

I was given that kit when I was starting out and it rocked but none of the instructions had safety tips if I recall correctly. Just general how to do moku hanga technique in black. Boy did mine suck too!

Taking the class at Mass Art two summers ago was invaluable.

Rachel said...

I did that once, in a printmaking class. The instructor was very explicit NEVER to hold your bracing hand in front of the tools, but I had gotten caught up in the carving and needed leverage. And well, I slipped the cutters sliced the knuckles of my thumb and my index finger. I bled a LOT. 7 stitches on the index finger. Suffice to say, I never did it again.

I've always had to learn things the hard way.

lu summers said...

OUCH! and i thought using the sewing machine was hazardous! (yep, i've put the needle through my finger. doh!) thanks for leaving me a comment about moo, lo and behold i managed to do it the next day, i now have moo cards AND stickers coming and sadly, i'm very excited.
when's your due date? my 2nd son was due august 25th, but he didn't put in a appearance until sept 2nd. i just about exploded, i was huge! on a good note my 1st son came bang on his due date!