Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blast from the (art) past


Time Capsule 2005
Originally uploaded by m.Lee


Good morning and happy Thursday. This weekend can not come soon enough as I am very tired.

Been working hard and stressing myself out per usual. After somehow squeezing Collage #12 in between fussy baby time I need a break. If she napped even for five minutes I was working. I didn't even have lunch. But it was so worth it, as I am really happy with the result. I think I am most proud of how I used the gocco print in a non-traditional way and the stitching as I am most certainly no seamstress. Today I am going to take it easy and make something quick and dirty for the collage challenge. Sometimes those end up being the most interesting.

#12 - Collage challenge

After my post yesterday I realized that I had neglected to explain what a Gocco is. It is a tabletop screenprinting device from Japan. Originally intended for Japanese schoolchildren it has taken off big time in the indie craft movement, especially with greeting cards and invitations. People do wall art too but the small size can be quite limited and the large model is ridiculously expensive and not all that large. And I am not much of a card maker. I just hope that when blee is old enough that supplies will still be available for us to make cards together. I can't wait to work on art projects with my little buddy! I'm going to give her a little art table that she can draw on as much as she wants just like I had. That is why those fancy kids tables make no sense to me. I don't want something where I will tear my hair out the second she invariably marks it up. No Pottery Barn Kids for this family.

After blee went down around 6pm I knew that I didn't want to make a damn thing, but I still needed to be productive. So I made a mess. That is I started going through junk boxes and tossing some and organizing others. Before I knew it was 11pm and I had to go to bed. But right before this realization I found these four unfinished prints from 2005. They were sitting at the bottom of one of my bins along with some meh ACEOs. It is like looking at something another person made at this point, two years feels like forever ago. So much has changed in my life much less my art. And I think that I have changed too. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them. But I really want to use them to mix the old with the new. Some may just get another layer (or two) printed on them, while others will find their way in collages. All I know is that they are very much a happy discovery. Maybe I will start squirreling stuff away on purpose?

4 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

like a time capsule....I like that idea!

jewelstreet said...

I love the way you write.

I always think it's fun when I find something I did from years ago. I think squirreling things away on purpose might be a good thing.

mizu designs said...

the collage is so lovely! i hope you rest up a bit today.

Piercing The Veil said...

nice prints ... preppy and refresshing

night