Monday, March 01, 2010

Welcome March!


February is finally over and I am running head first into March. While March has traditionally been my worst month emotionally for years now I think that could change this year. So here I go with some big plans, goals and dreams for the month. Here is to a fabulous month for all of us! Begone winter!

I do believe that these doodles are building up to something major. People have been saying that they remind them of my woodblock prints with the layers of colors and I am starting to see that. I can't believe it but I haven't printed in over a year. I only touched my press in 2009 when we moved my studio into the smaller room and that wasn't even me but my husband and a friend. Not only have I not been able to get much art done the last year and a half or so (hmm that lines up to when Alex became mobile) but I've been so focused on collages ever since she was born. It is really difficult to set aside a chunk of at least two hours, preferably around four, to print. But a collage lends itself so well to being worked on in stages. I even did a few of them with Alex in the Ergo or wrap on my back! That just wouldn't work with printing. Whenever I did have any longer periods of time I was way too exhausted for printing as it is quite a physically and mentally draining process for me. So much of the creative process is done at the press and I need a clear and focused mind. Factor in a dash of boredom after doing printmaking pretty much exclusively for over two years and I moved on. But I'm feeling that this year the press will be used. That I will find a balance between my sketches/ doodles, making collages and printmaking. I even have paper that I tore in either early 2009 or late 2008 ready to go for printing. Eeep!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: