Thursday, March 20, 2008

New Love


Overgrowth
Originally uploaded by m.Lee
Hello, it's me. Marissa. I used to fit pretty nicely in an artistic box and I was comfortable with it. I mean, I may have only done printmaking for the past two years but I did do unconventional printmaking. And I really enjoyed going back and doing it again on Wednesday. It felt fresh again now that I have many other things to feed my artistic spirit.

Thursday Project

Bottom Left Corner

But today (Thursday), I drew a card from my little inspiration deck that said "do the opposite" and this is what I came up with. Yesterday was all about printmaking and today was all about taking an old not quite good enough but still too cool to rip up and turn into various things print into something new. First I painted the sides and attached the print to the gallery wrapped canvas. Took a break to eat lunch and get some blee love and then I got down to it. Honestly not much thought pre-construction went into this piece. I started by putting some papers down and moving them around, cut a few new ones for it and then went about attaching and sealing everything. Finished off with some Sharpie lines before the final topcoat.

I am pleased. Right now the reproduction is listed in my mLeeRedux shop while I work out a price for the original. I'm pretty attached to the original, but at the same time I want to set it free to a loving home so it will be priced significantly higher than the $10 reproduction, but will be a fair price considering how much time, effort and I think skill went into this piece. Until then it will be sitting above my computer desk away from the sun so I can enjoy. I think on a nice day I am going to go outside and use some UV sealant on all of my collages. Don't want those fumes in here, especially with blee around.

above my computer

Lost is on tonight. We are going to Tivo it so we can skip the commercials, of course!

Goodnight to some, and good morning to others.

9 comments:

Esma said...

Your work is gorgeous... I love it!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

I really like that! Your opposite worked!

Rosebud Collection said...

What beautiful work you do..It is fun going back and doing something you haven't done in awhile..I think you get a different perspective.

Caroline said...

I love the idea of "doing the opposite." :) Great work!

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

The cards know all! Today I picked "slow". Seems like a good idea for today!

Unknown said...

I love your artwork -- I noticed it when I first arrived to Etsy.

The Bookish Life said...

what a great piece...it turned out beautiful!

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

Thank you! I'm having so much fun with these collages and have a stockpile of stretched and canvas panels to use.

I think I want to try wood too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome work.
Is that your pink wall?! I wish i could paint my walls colors like that. ( I have ugly wood panels).