Monday, June 05, 2006
Fire in my studio
for sale on Etsy
Early last night I was trying some monotype printing (hated it) and some smoke smell from outside was filtering into my studio and bugging me. So I lit this candle that an Etsy Person had given me as a gift. I don't normally do candles, but this one had a nice smell. An hour or so later I was done monoprinting and wanted to print the woodblocks I had finished. But I had no paper torn. While tearing the paper is when one sheet touched the candle and caught on fire. I didn't even notice until the paper was a third burned up. The fire was growing so I carefully picked up the paper and ran into the bathroom across the hall throwing it in the tub, then dumping water. While I was running the ball of flame got my hand pretty good. I spent much of last night with my hand soaking in a bowl of cool water, taking pain meds and putting on creams. This morning I have some blisters on my left hand (and I am left handed), but I should be able to work again.
This print was actually made after the fire. I didn't have any paper torn, but I had ink out and the pressure of my press was set and ready to go. So, in pain the whole time I tore one sheet of paper and made this print. Then rushed to soak my hand some more immediately after I was done! I just had to see what the birds and the leaves looked like together!