Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Anniversary


Masks
Originally uploaded by m.Lee.
It has been about a year since I took the woodcut printmaking class at Mass Art that changed my life. This is the print that I ended up doing for the class. It isn't bad for an early woodcut, but I would say that my technique and subject matter have come a long way since then. I am no longer all that interested in faces and my use of layers has dramatically improved. Plus I am a better carver. But I still think it was obvious from the beginning that I was meant to be doing woodblock printing. Now if only monotypes came so easily to me!

3 comments:

Diane Cutter said...

I like this piece very much, Marissa. The hair is lovely and the eyes on both faces have a lot of life... Different, yes, but still an m.Lee piece!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you've only been doing woodcuts one year. I definitely thought you had years of experience. Congrats on your success.

Annie B said...

Hi Marissa,

It's fun to see your first print! You did a great job on it. And I'm glad you've kept going. AB