Thursday, August 17, 2006

The next step?


Aug 17th sketches
Originally uploaded by m.Lee.
I am really liking the pattern sketch on the lower right hand side and want to do a huge carving based off of it. But I feel stuck not knowing what I should do. I still haven't printed the blocks that I carved over the weekend because I have been dragging on even getting the paper torn for them. So I feel really bad about starting a new big project before producing something. So I end up doing nothing but more and more sketches. I think I know what is the right thing to do. Suck it up and tear the paper (hate hate) and print for an hour or so. Then work on this block. Alternating between carving and printing is probably the best answer. But can I do it?

I am so glad that I waited to start carving a pattern block before coming up with this one. It paid off to keep sketching until I came up with something that I really like. Dragging on the carving actually was the best thing in this case. I only have one side of a large block to carve and I don't want to mess it up. They aren't cheap and I don't want to place an order for new wood anytime soon.

Thoughts?

No comments: