Thursday, January 12, 2006


This is a great tool for relief woodcut printing. It was actually designed for scratch-art but I picked it up a few years ago when I was taking an intaglio class and thought I would get some nice effects from it. I did but my skills at intaglio are greatly lacking so it sat unused for awhile. Then a few months ago I found it and started using it to make marks in my woodblocks. I don't think they make them anymore so I am pretty lucky that I picked one up when I did.

Tonight I am hosting a craft night where I am going to show people how to do woodcut printing. We are going to carve small blocks and make artist cards from them. I am excited!

2 comments:

Ellen Shipley said...

That's a kewl tewl. I can see how it would be useful in intaglio. But it really works on wood? Very kewl.

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

It takes some effort but it works great on shina plywood. Did you check out the detail shot? All those little lines were made with the scratcher.